When your “food choices” greatly impact other things (humans, non-human animals and the planet) it’s no longer a personal choice. Animals aren’t grazing happily in beautiful pastures then walk their way onto your plate. You literally have to unlearn everything you hear growing up, most of it is utter bullshit, we’re absolutely brainwashed by these money hungry industries -
- Over 56 billion animals are killed a year for food. Meat we don’t need.
- In the US 70% of grain grown and 85% of soy grown is for cattle and other farm animals. Could feed a lot of starving people with that.
- It takes 13 pounds of grain to make one pound of animal flesh..again could be using that to feed hungry people.
- 260 million acres of US forest has been leveled to grow grain and house livestock for meat.
- 80% of deforestation of the Amazon rain forest is due to cattle farms, and growing crops to feed them.
- Half the water in the US is used to raising ”food animals”
- US fisheries kill thousands of protected and engendered sea animals. Cetaceans (dolphins, whales, porpoises) and sharks are tremendously affected by trawl nets.
- Meat is often contaminated with feces. Campylobacter (usually on chicken) alone is responsible for 2.4 cases of food poisoning a year. (96% of Tyson chicken tested positive for this bacteria)
- Every year a shit ton of meat is contaminated with E. coli. The USDA reported that 70% food poisoning is caused by contaminated animal flesh.
- Yes plant food can be contaminated with e.coli and other bacteria but that’s due to runoff from cattle farms spraying/leaking into fields growing fresh vegetables.
- Meat and dairy are loaded with antibiotics and hormones (even milk labeled as hormone free)
- People talk about vegans ignoring exploited workers when according to Humans Right Watch slaughterhouse work is the most dangerous factory job in america. The work is filthy and they’re underpaid, in constant danger and crazily overworked.
- Dairy and meat have been linked to Heart Disease, High blood pressure, Many forms of cancer, diabetes and more. Animal protein, cholesterol and saturated animal fats are horrible for us. My doctor told me he had to worry about me less once I told him I was vegan.
- Farm animals are just as smart as the pets we having in our homes. Pigs even smarter than dogs. These are sentient animals. These animals don’t die happy for your 5 minute meal, they struggle until their last breath.
- Veganism doesn’t just help animals. Helps the planet and humans too. It’s unselfish, it’s important.
To love & to be loved truly is to show someone where the barbs in your heart are, to allow them to pull them out one by one as you wince at the pain with the full knowledge that at any moment those same barbs could be thrown back at you with so much force that they will be lodged in your flesh ten times deeper than they ever were before. That’s why the removal hurts more with each time, that’s why we’re all so afraid to let someone new hold them in their hands for either safe keeping or future weapons of mass destruction.
I just want to lie in bed and not participate in life